|The Spanish Inquisition
Historical, hands-on documents help your students explore the attitudes and conditions of the Spanish Inquisition in Europe during the Middle Ages. This Jackdaw discusses a classic example of religious intolerance and abuse of power with terrible consequences for the victims, and it provides a basis for class study on similar instances of abuse throughout history. Historian: John Langdon-Davies. The contents of this Jackdaw feature:
What was the Inquisition?
- The Spanish Inquisition
- How the Spanish Inquisition Worked
- Who Were the Victims?
- Auto de fe
- The Spanish Inquisition and Witchcraft
Study Guide / Lesson Plan – Reproducible Activities
A procession to an auto de fe. Engraving.
- Description of an auto de fe at Toledo in 1692 with a list of the condemned, includes translation.
- The festive auto de fe at Madrid in 1680. Engraving.
- Designs for the ritual robes of the condemned. Engravings.
- Engravings from Francisco Goya’s Caprichos.
- An Edict of Faith issued in Valencia in 1512, includes translation.
- A bond, written by a nun, making a pact with the Devil.
- The Loyal Martyrs, an English ballad sheet.
Regular Price: $57.50
Customer Appreciation Sale!: $43.13