Bring the Roman occupation of Britain to life in your classroom with hands-on documents depicting daily military life upon their remarkable defense against the barbarians known as Hadrian’s Wall. Outstanding classroom displays include a detailed map of Roman Emperor Hadrian’s 80-mile wall, a pictorial description of building the wall and a chart of “The Soldier’s Arms and Armour.” Historians: David and Pauline Jones. The contents of this Jackdaw feature:
The Romans Come to Britain
- Building and Manning the Wall
- Legionaries and Auxiliaries
- Garrison Life on Hadrian’s Wall
- The History of the Wall
Study Guide / Lesson Plan – Reproducible Activities
Pictorial map of Hadrian’s Wall.
- Building the wall: a pictorial description.
- “The Soldier’s Arms and Armour”: a picture chart.
- Survey of Chesters, a fort on the wall.
- Building inscription from fort at High Rochester.
- Guard roster of a Roman cavalry regiment in Syria.
- Soldier’s discharge diploma from Malpas.
- Tombstone of a Roman centurion.