Use the X-ray of a healthy heart, magnified blood smear, and Chart of the Circulatory System to capture class interest with these hands-on documents. Use the Broadsheets to introduce William Harvey, his work, and the world of 17th-century science. Students should know that Harvey’s original presentation on the circulation of blood is still used today. Historians: Jonathan Miller and Gerald Leach. The contents of this Jackdaw feature:
Early Ideas on the Circulation
- Harvey on the Circulation
- Scientific Ideas in the 17th Century
- Harvey’s Life
- The Heart and Circulation As We Know Them Today
Study Guide / Lesson Plan – Reproducible Activities
Portrait of William Harvey.
- Pages from Aubrey’s Brief Lives.
- Pages from Coriolanus.
- Page from Vesalius: De Humani Corporis Fabrica.
- Part of Harvey’s medical diploma.
- Pages from first Latin edition of Harvey’s De Motu Cordis.
- Pages from first English edition of De Motu Cordis.
- Chart of the circulation and magnified smear of blood.
- X-ray of a healthy heart.