The Vikings’ world and their influence is explored and illustrated in this Jackdaw. Through hands-on documents learn about the ships the Vikings traveled in, the life they led, their culture and customs, and the art and traditions they left behind. The archaeological evidence presents a fascinating and colorful picture of these fearless adventurers. Their own sagas relate their history and exploits. Historian: Sylvia Nickels. The contents of this Jackdaw feature:
Study Guide / Lesson Plan – Reproducible Activities
The Vikings, who and why — an introductory broadsheet.
- The Viking homelands — an illustrated map.
- Traders and travelers — the Viking world.
- They come to the British Isles.
- Viking sites in Britain — a picture sheet.
- The death of St. Olaf — a full color illumination from the Flateyjarbok.
- How the Vikings traveled.
- The Viking home — a reconstruction of Viking life.
- Beliefs and burials.
- Viking culture — writing and ornaments.
- Thralls, karls and jarls — the Viking social structure.
- Clothes, customs and cleanliness — Viking fashion and behavior.